Wednesday, November 2, 2011

What Am I Working For?

God blessed me early on in my life by giving me the desire to help and serve others. I always knew that whatever career I went into, I wanted it to be one in which I was helping. My parents, and especially my mother, helped me to cultivate that desire.

So I ended up working at M. D. Anderson, fulfilling my heart's desire - helping others who were going through really tough circumstances. However, when I had Hannah, my heart's desire changed somewhat. I still wanted to help others, but I desperately desired to be with her more so I could serve her entirely. Finally, 6 years and 2 children later, I was given my heart's desire to devote the entirety of my days to being a "homemaker." (That sounds so weird and archaic, but that's what I do and I love it!)

Even though God has provided these wonderful opportunities, work is work and not every part of it is really rewarding. Recently in church, Luke learned Colossians 3:17 - "Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father." Actually, he learned the 4-year-old version: "Whatever you do, do your work for the Lord." Our family has taken hold of this verse and made it our own. Its a great verse for Luke to remember when he's coloring, for Hannah to remember when she's doing her homework, and for me to remember when I'm having to do my least favorite chore: laundry! No matter what I am doing - my heart's desire or a task I don't really like that much - I am working for the Lord. God gave me this work, he has answered my heart's desire on more that one occasion, and I am working for Him.

And how can I be successful at this homemaking job? At M. D. Anderson, the administration takes great pains to recognize its employees and acknowledge them for a job well done. Recognition may not be so regular or immediate in the homemaking business. But I recently remembered this quote from Sr. Mary Lauretta - "To be successful the first thing to do is fall in love with your work." I realized that my heart is fickle. I fall in "love" with many things. My desire changes as my life and circumstances change. But to be successful in any of it, I need to keep falling in love with who I'm working for - my Lord, my Jesus. My heart's desire is really to glorify Him. And although I will rejoice in the rewards I am able to experience here on earth - my children's smiles, their right choices, etc., I will also strive to one day receive the greatest reward - to hear Him say, "Well done, good and faithful servant!" Matthew 25:23.

0 comments:

Post a Comment