Monday, August 8, 2011

One More Cup of Water

I must admit that by the time I started having children, I had completely forgotten the many trips my parents had taken to get me "one more cup of water" before I would finally go to sleep each night. I now remember my attempts at stalling the inevitable, and I also remember how patient and loving my parents were about getting me those cups of water. Unfortunately, my attitude has not always been so positive when getting that last cup of water. However, about a year ago, I came across Matthew 10:42:
And whoever in the name of a disciple gives to one of these little ones even a cup of cold water to drink; truly I say to you, he shall not lose his reward.
I realize I am completely taking this verse out of context - Jesus said this when He was sending the disciples out to proclaim His kingdom - but, I remember this verse every time one of my little ones asks for a cup of water. I know that every time I serve them in any way, I am serving the Lord, but it is easy to forget. Now, every time I'm making a late night run to the kitchen for another cup of water, I'm able to smile inside and know that I am serving my Lord and He is smiling down at me!

1 comment: