Wednesday, July 27, 2011

My Introduction to Tuna Melts


When I first saw a tuna melt, I was a freshman in college going through my dorm's cafeteria line. I actually had never had warm tuna in my life. My only experience with tuna had been my Mom's wonderful tuna fish sandwiches with crunchy red apple, and I believed tuna should be eaten cold. Also, the whole sound of a tuna melt just turned me off. Needless to say, I passed on the cafeteria tuna melts.

Since getting married, I have had tuna steak a few times and enjoyed it, but when using canned tuna, I always made my Mom's recipe. Until now! In the June 2011 issue of Cooking Light I saw a recipe for Tuna Melts with Avocado. I LOVE avacado, so I had to try them. Not only are they delicious, my whole family loved them! (I didn't call them tuna melts; I called them mini pizzas so they would actually try them). In case you would like to give it a try, the recipe (with my adaptations) is below.

2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp thinly sliced shallots (I just used half onions and half minced garlic)
1Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp black pepper (I used a few twists of the pepper grinder)
1/8 tsp salt
1 (6 oz) can white tuna in water, drained
1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 avocado
1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese (I think any mild, white cheese would do)
2 (6 oz) pieces French bread, halved and toasted (I used bollos from HEB Bakery and didn't toast)

1. Preheat broiler to high.

2. Combine first 6 ingredients.

3. Chop avocado and mix with lemon juice in separate bowl.

4. Combine avocado mixture with tuna mixture.

5. Sprinkle cheese over cut sides of bread and broil for 3 minutes

6. Divide tuna mixture evenly among bread slices.

(I actually put the tuna mixture on the bread first, sprinkled the cheese on top of that, and then toasted all of the ingredients together like pizza).

Hope you enjoy! What is your favorite canned tuna recipe?



0 comments:

Post a Comment